Google+

Summer, Beach & Mermaids

So my mother-in-law asked me to print her a copy of the picture above in as an 8" by 10". I did, but it got me thinking about beach frames. So while at Michaels the other day I picked up two inexpensive frames on clearance. I knew I would cover them with shells and such so I didn't worry about their colors. I also bought some more shells and sea glass. Then I saw the Mermaid Contest over at Taming the Goblin.





Over the weekend, we made the frames. We decided to start by covering the frames with sand. We had some from last year's fairy garden. So our first step is to spread some glue on the frames. Hazel loved doing this!

Then we did our best to cover them with sand.
At this point we should have let the glue dry, but I had an anxious three-year-old helping me so we went ahead. She could not wait to start gluing on the shells, rocks and sea glass. (Sorry the picture came out a bit blurry.)

Then we let the glue dry for a few days (and it still wasn't completely dry--guess I globbed it on a bit much). By the way we used craft glue. I called my mother who just made one of those shell wreaths to see what she used and she used a hot glue gun, but didn't recommend it with Hazel helping. She thought craft glue would work fine and it did.
Mermaid Taking a Nap Framed

While it was drying I looked for pictures of mermaids. I found several at Graphics Fairy, but they were more vintage and not as kind looking as I hoped for. I did a search and came across Deviant Art. My favorite there is Mermaid Taking a Nap. Of the four I showed to Hazel, her favorite is one I found on Graphics Hunt. There are so many out there and I tried to look for friendly and not too sexy ones.
Hazel's Favorite Framed
Then I hung them in the family room to get some pictures. After that I put Hazel's favorite in her room and I changed the picture in my favorite to the beach picture. After all this is what I bought the frames for.
I do think we are going to use some of the wooden frames I bought ages ago to make some more shell frames for our mermaid pictures and for her beach picture as gifts.

So how do you like our mermaid inspired craft? I'm off to enter it in Taming the Goblin's Contest.




This is where I share...



8 comments:

  1. These are great Carrie! I love how they turned out ~ well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mermaid crafting!! My girls are kind of obsessed with mermaids right now...I will definitely be making some of these frames! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These frames turned out so great, - i love your bags and bags of sea shells. thanks for linking up to the mermaid project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those turned out so cute!!!!
    Thanks for sharing at my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those shell frames - so beachy! Looks like you guys had fun :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to make one of these after our trip to the beach! Love them! I featured them on my Summer Carnival round up showing ways to get more hands on with nature! Thanks for sharing! http://famigliaandseoul.blogspot.com/2012/06/all-year-round-summer-carnival-get.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shell frames are lovely and would make wonderful gifts! Thank you so much for sharing with the All Year Round Summer Carnival. :) I've featured your post here: http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/all-year-round-week-twenty-one-7-summer.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!