Google+

Sharing the Easter Story with Little Ones

I have been trying to find some good ways to explain Easter to Hazel. It is such a hard concept to really understand especially for a preschooler who is still trying to grasp death, heaven, etc. We have been reading the Holy Week stories in her Bible story book. We also got some more picture books about Easter. We hit the used book store after Hazel's appointment for allergy testing and bought quite a few new ones. I will admit we have not gotten through all of them yet, but am sharing them here so you can check them out. Please note: Two have the same illustrator and thus the same picture on the covers.
Besides reading these books we have also been using toilet paper roll characters to act out the crucifixion and resurrection. We colored in the characters and scenes that you can get at Catholic Icing (if you subscribe you can get her water color painted ones as a subscriber bonus). Hazel still has many questions like "Why did they kill Jesus? Why did they want him to die? Why was he put between two thieves? Why were they killed?" She is however enjoying acting it out.
You have the crucifixion with the Roman soldiers. The crucified Jesus can come off and be put in the tomb.
I glued the large stone to a piece of a toilet paper roll so it could be moved back and forth. The middle picture is the inside of the tomb. She suggested a small tissue box, but we didn't have one and we used a large one.
The other people you get are two angels, the two Marys, Peter and the Risen Christ.
I noticed after I glued it that the Risen Christ's arms are suppose to be cut so they can be open and they have the nail marks on them.

I truly think giving her these puppets to act out the story is helping her at least understand some of it.



10 comments:

  1. They turned out great! Catholic icing is an amazing resource

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love all the great ideas at Catholic Icing.

      Delete
  2. I used their Christmas set a few years ago for a MOPS craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these great ideas! I appreciate the list of books. Arch books have always been my favorite of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! It can be hard to figure out how to share these stories with little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I'm featuring it tomorrow on The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing on the After School Link-Up! I'm featuring your post this week on Parent Teach Play: http://www.parentteachplay.com/after-school-activities-for-spring/ and I'll be pinning your post, too. Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Resurrection is a hard concept. You have some great ideas and resources!

    Thanks for sharing and please join us again this week at Eco-Kids Tuesday! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/03/nifty-thrifting-at-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the toilet paper roll activity. This will be perfect for my little one next year. Thank you for sharing at my link party at My Life's a Treasure.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!