Google+

Flamingo Friday--Paper Plate Flamingos


So this week I thought we would finally share the craft I have had in my head for quite awhile. I thought I had seen something like it on-line, but when I went to look for the link, I could not find it. We decided since we focused on baby flamingos last week to make a mommy flamingo and a baby flamingo. I cut a regular sized paper plate in half as well as a small (cake) sized one in half. I gave Hazel the small half to start gluing on feathers. We used white since baby flamingos are white or grey. I cut out necks and heads from construction paper and we taped them onto the plate (glue did not stick well on the glossy side) and we folded a pipe cleaner in half to be the legs.
Since I was busy cutting heads and taping on legs and heads, Hazel added feathers to my baby as well. We talked about how flamingos have yellow eyes, so she drew two on her baby. I tried to explain we would only see one on that side of the head.
For the mommy flamingos, we used the larger plates. We used two pipe cleaners for the legs since their legs are longer than the babies. I cut the heads out of white construction paper since their beaks are white and black and Hazel used her dot markers to make the head and necks pink (and the eyes yellow) on both heads. She glued the pink feathers to hers and I used a feather boa for mine. We originally had trouble finding just pink feathers so we thought the feather boa would work. I added a few extras of the feathers for the tail.
Now I think we will use these as decorations at her birthday party.
Hazel's
So how do you like our simple flamingo craft? Did I mention Hazel was home sick today when we did this and it really did not take too long and she loves them?
Happy Flamingo Friday!! (With the weather we have had here, it feels like flamingo weather and not our typical September weather.)


6 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I love the feathers you used. It would be fun to put pipe cleaners on the flamingos for legs and see if they would stand up in the yard :) Thanks for sharing this fun paper plate craft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flamingos are so cute! Please share them on Artsy Play Wednesday (on through Saturday night).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! Pinned it! Thanks for sharing @ TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute craft. I hope Hazel feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea - wish I'd seen these before we went to Flamingoland. Have pinned them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tots. I'm featuring it this week on Learn with Play at Home :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!