Google+

Adorable Felted Animals -- Crafty Weekends Review & Link Party

 Disclosure: Tuttle Publishing gave me a copy of this book free of charge for this review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation. As in all my reviews I am providing links for your ease, but receive no compensation.

One of my favorite crafts from our couple of years at a Waldorf school is needle felting. It was for the holiday fair that I first learned to needle felt. It is an easy craft to learn and has so many options!! I knew I had to check out Adorable Felted Animals from the editors of the Gakken Publishing Company. Just look at the realistic animals on the cover of the book!!

http://www.tuttlepublishing.com/origami-crafts/adorable-felted-animals-paperback-with-flaps

I would not consider myself an expert needle felter, I can make pretty decent projects. I decided to try one of the bunnies in grey. I happened to have some grey alpaca wool that I purchased ages ago. 
His body could use more density, but he is pretty cute. I did find the alpaca wool a bit more airy than sheep wool and harder to get more density. I was also a bit tired when I made him so I didn't put as much effort in to making him as I should have.

This is also why I didn't try to make a tabby cat like the one on the cover or one of the adorable birds. I however realized that the rabbit is about 18-inch doll size. It could work as a pet rabbit or stuffed animal for Hazel's dolls.

I posed the rabbit with one of Hazel's dolls. Since the animals seem to be to the same scale in the book, I am guessing any of the animals (dogs, cats, birds, hamsters, ferrets, chipmunks and rabbits) could work with the dolls.

To give you an idea of some of the adorable pets that are featured in this book check out this yellow lab.
Source
And check out the back of the book for even more adorable pets featured in the book.
Source
The book is set up with pictures of all the projects and then a detailed and illustrated set of instructions for needle felting and making one of the dogs. The patterns for the rest of the animals provide the shapes needed to create the animal as well as the details and order to put it together. If you do not make the first dog you will need some knowledge in needle felting to use the book, but it is pretty clear to follow with a bit a knowledge. Hazel was very excited to find a new bunny to play with when she woke up this morning! I can't wait to try one of the harder animals. It felt great to get out my needle felting tools again!

Thank you to everyone who shared with us at last week's party!! It was another large party! Welcome to everyone who is new to our craft party!! We love having you!! I divided the features into three groups: Crafts for Kids, Adult Crafts and Spring Holiday Crafts.  I hope you will check them all out and remember it is just a sampling of the amazing crafts shared. 

Also remember for your child-oriented crafts, activities, lessons, etc. Sharing Saturday is going on!! For any cultural related posts (diversity and/or multicultural as well) be sure to share at the month long Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop. A new Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop just started this morning! Here is a sampling of features from last week's party!

Crafts for Kids Features

 
1) From Simply Darling: Wooden World Map for a Travel Themed Nursery

2) From Busy Being Jennifer: DIY Natural Wooden Teethers

3) From Wesens-Art: DIY Game: Race to the Crown

4) From Over the Apple Tree: Book Quote Poster

Adult Craft Features


  
1) From Kenarry: Rustic and Modern Home Decor Signs

2) From Pink Heels Pink Truck: How-to Glitter Feathers


3) From The Scrap Shoppe Blog: Typography Adult Coloring Sheets

4) From Love, Pasta, Toolbelt: DIY Bride Mug


5) From Worthing Court: How to Build a Rustic Sofa Table 

6) From Naptime Creations: Amazing Free Purse Pattern 

Spring Holiday Features



1) From Creating Really Awesome Fun Things: Easter Treats for Everyone

2) From Clean & Scentsible: Easter Bunting with Pom Pom Bunnies

3) From Hudson's Holidays: Lucky Me...Freebie Friday


4) From Hudson's Holidays: This and That

Thank you to everyone who shared the last week!! I hope you will share again!! If you are featured here, please feel free to grab a featured button to display proudly on your blog. I would love the help spreading the word about Crafty Weekends!!





Featured Button Code:



 Please share family friendly crafts here. Just crafts and/or patterns--no recipes, lessons, etc. You can share craft product reviews as well. By linking up here you are giving me permission to share your links and to pin your links. Please follow my Crafty Weekends Feature Pinterest Board to see all the features from these fun link parties!