Google+

Hamster Princess: Ratpunzel -- Book Review & Craft

Disclosure: Penguin Random House Books gave me a copy of this book free of charge for this review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation.  As in all my reviews I am providing links for your ease, but receive no compensation.

I am so excited to share with you the third book in the Hamster Princess series!! Hazel and I fell in love with these books and shared the first two with you previously. These are books Hazel could read by herself but I read them to her the first time so I can enjoy them as well. Each one is themed around a classic fairy tale. The third book is Hamster Princess: Ratpunzel by Ursula Vernon and is based around the story of Rapunzel.  

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/313170/hamster-princess-ratpunzel-by-ursula-vernon/

Prince Wilbur calls on Princess Harriet to help find his missing hydra's egg. Heady, Wilbur's pet hydra, is mourning her egg and Wilbur and his mother cannot stand seeing her this way. Harriet and Wilbur set off to see Wilbur's mother's friend who knew about the egg to see what she knows. They realize very quickly that Mother Gothel is hiding something and after following her they realize she has the huge egg and used magic to hide it from them and she enters a tower with no door by climbing up a long rope like thing which ends up being a rat's tail. The tower is in a strange forest where the trees look like they have been carved to look like "people" (people in this series means rodents). Well now Harriet and Wilbur need to save the egg as well as Ratpunzel--the imprisoned rat. What a great story with lots of excitement. 

To go with this story I wanted to do a craft. As I was trying to think of a good craft I asked Hazel what she wanted to do. Her idea was to do a wood carving to look like one of the trees. Since we do not have wood carving tools or ability I suggested maybe using clay. She loved the idea! She made this by herself. I suggested splitting the top to be branches. I didn't quite mean them to go out to the sides, but I wasn't going to change her creation. She did use the picture in the book of Wilbur getting caught in the tree. Mother Gothel used Ratpunzel's tears to perform magic to imprison people in the trees. She had trouble with the eyes so she added her googly eyes on her own.

Didn't she do a great job? So we highly recommend you check out this great series! I love how Harriet is such a strong girl and role model. She is the one who saves the princesses in the various books. I also love how the various classic stories are there but changed in each book. We love this series. Hazel was so excited to get the new book to read!!