Google+

Heritage Doll Clothes -- Making 1930s Doll Clothes -- Crafty Weekends Link Party


Hazel has discovered the American Girl books. She is loving the mysteries for older children. She also has fallen in love with Kit Kittredge. She really wants to get an American Girl doll. She has begun saving her own money for one. She is struggling deciding between getting Kit, Samantha or Rebecca. She really LOVES the Kit stories but likes the looks of the other two more. She has begun reading the other stories and is really just enjoying them all. Since it will take her awhile to save enough money to buy an American Girl doll I thought I would make some clothes from the various eras for the dolls she has. Since Kit is her current favorite I thought I would start with something from the 1930s. I pulled out Heritage Doll Clothes by Joan Hinds. I bought it awhile ago to get the pattern for a prairie dress and bonnet when Hazel was really into Little House on the Prairie. I still need to make it for her doll and the matching one for her.

https://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Doll-Clothes-American-Outfits/dp/1440243166/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488161475&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=heritage+doll+clohtes

I love that this book has patterns from the 1700s to the 1940s. There are Native American outfits as well as a folk outfit. I decided to make the sleeveless summer dress from the 1930s for Hazel's dolls. I adjusted it a bit leaving off the belt and piping since Hazel wanted me to use different fabric than what I originally got to make this dress. Over our week of vacation we visited a fabric store with my mother that has a good amounts of 1930s reproduction fabrics and she fell in love with this yellow fabric. We bought enough to make her a matching dress as well.
I love the variety in the book and that all the patterns are pdf files on a CD for your computer. They are easy to print and I did not have to deal with photocopying and trying to get a piece that is too big for one page onto one page. Love that!! The instructions are very clear and easy to follow as well. Plus I love the various looks and wish the book went past the 1940s to include the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Now we just need a Kit hat and a bob hair cut and we will be all set. I love how this dress turned out though. I see myself making many of the patterns in this book as well. Hazel is thinking she wants a Beforever Doll Birthday Party this year with something from each of the Happy Birthday books for each doll. We will see what we can do.


Thank you to everyone who shared with us at our last party!! I loved seeing what everyone has been creating lately!! Below are some features from the party, but this is just a small sample of great ideas shared! This week we have two groups of features: Fabric and Sewing Crafts and Other Crafts.

Also remember for your child-oriented crafts, activities, lessons, etc. Sharing Saturday is going on!! For any cultural related posts (diversity and/or multicultural as well) be sure to share at the month long Creative Kids Creative Blog Hop.


Fabric and Sewing Crafts


1) From Bombshell Bling: St. Patrick's Day Ribbon Skirt

2) From Typically Simple: Fabric Mug Rug Sewing Tutorial
3) From Purple Hues & Me: Let's Make Penguins

4) From Pink Peppermint Designs: Cute and Easy Felt and Canvas Shamrock Pennant Banner

5) From Nap Time Creations: Reusable Snack Bags

6) From Flamingo Toes: Floral Embroidered Zipper Pouch 

Other Crafts Features





1) From The Turquoise Home: Be Strong Be Brave Be Fearless Free Printable

2) From DT&D (Duct Tape and Denim): DIY Recipe Box Upcycle

3) From Growing Through God's World: Tadeo Turtle Puppet

4) From Pink Heels Pink Trucks: DIY Macrame Projects for the Home

 
Thank you to everyone who shared the last week!! I hope you will share again!! If you are featured here, please feel free to grab a featured button to display proudly on your blog. I would love the help spreading the word about Crafty Weekends!!



Featured Button Code:



 Please share family friendly crafts here. Just crafts and/or patterns--no recipes, lessons, etc. You can share craft product reviews as well. By linking up here you are giving me permission to share your links and to pin your links. Please follow my Crafty Weekends Feature Pinterest Board to see all the features from these fun link parties!