Google+

Pause in Our Rhythm & Autumn & Her Fairies


Yesterday morning, Hazel woke up extremely early (3:30 a.m.) with a sore throat. She did not go back to sleep. I had trouble believing the sore throat thing since she was singing and jumping, but as the day went on it became obvious. She had an awful night last night and was awake quite a few times crying in pain or wanting something to drink. This morning she slept a little later and then wanted to listen to her stories on cd. At 7 she climbed into bed with me and we stayed there (sleeping most of the time) until 8. Needless to say, we canceled our plans for the day and she did not go to school yesterday. So we have a pause in our weekly rhythm--the first week of our full rhythm with swim lessons starting this week. I got to thinking about how it is easier to pause because Hazel is sick than because I am. And I know how fortunate I am to have my mother-in-law close by and always willing to take her when I'm sick.
Autumn

Source
This morning I made some clothespin dolls for Hazel of Autumn and her Maple Fairy and Oak Fairy. I shared the story I wrote about them the other day. I used a paint marker to paint their shoes and eyes. Then I used cotton for autumn and some scrap red yarn for her hair. For the fairies I used felt and cut out templates of the leaves. Then I used some fabric paint markers to have their spilled paint on them. I decided not to sew the clothes since I originally was going to have Hazel do this with me. So I used Sobo Glue which works great with fabric. I discovered it when I was making dollhouse furniture and dolls.

Maple and Oak Fairies
The other project I have been working on is a doll from Joan Russell's Dolls of the World Collection. The pattern is from The Woman's Day Book of Soft Toys & Dolls by Joan Russell. I'm hoping to make all of her collection as well as her Native American collection and my ultimate goal is to make her Amy doll (the cute one on the lower corners of the cover) and all her clothes and doll for Hazel for her birthday gift. I figured I would practice on the other ones first and it is a good thing I did because I messed up the hair and the eyes are not perfect. Oh, well. Now I just need to make the poor doll clothes. Joan Russell is very detail oriented when it comes to costumes so this may take awhile. Can you tell which country she is suppose to be from?

Did I mention that September is National Sewing Month? So it seems like a great time to be playing with doll making! I hope you will join us for Sharing Saturday later tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Your doll looks fantastic!

    I hope Hazel feels completely well soon, and that you stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Hazel feels well soon! We have been hinting at sore throats here too, and I am hoping we can keep them at bay with orange juice and lots of homemade soup. You doll is cute, and that set of patterns looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're autumn fairies are lovely! We all have fall illnesses here too. Hope you all are on the mend soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!