Google+

Surviving Hurricane Sandy & More Crafts

Have you entered my Best Halloween Costume Contest yet? Please stop by to enter and to vote for your favorite!!
halloweencontest-002
Today I thank God that my family and friends are fine after Hurricane Sandy.

Well, as you know I live on the East Coast so we have been hit by Hurricane Sandy. My dear husband is working like a madman to get people's power turned on in Massachusetts. The part I really hate about storms is how much he has to work and how angry people get about not having power. When I see how hard he and his colleagues work I realize that they are doing what they can. Anyway, that is another whole story. Today I will tell you about Hazel and mine experience of the storm.

It started sprinkling/misty on Sunday here, but really was not bad. The news said the worst part would start around noon on Monday. So on Monday morning we went out to run a few errands that we had to do. Now just about every school was closed and so was the library, state offices, etc. But most stores were not, so off we went. Then Hazel had an unheard of two hour nap. She doesn't usually nap anymore and when she does we pay for it at bedtime. I figured I would let her sleep since I needed some sleep and she hadn't really gotten to see Steve and he would be working late.

Shortly after she woke up, we lost power. And of course it was almost dinner time. Of course any problem with power here is dealt with a phone call to Steve. He called me back to let me know no one had reported it and gave me the number to report it. Then he called back to let me know it was a major area out (the local highway with all the stores were out as well) so I better figure something out for dinner since all the close restaurants were closed. I called one pizza place and was told delivery would take at least an hour, so I called another one and we got pizza in half an hour from the neighboring town. Hazel and I had a picnic in our family room. While we waited for the pizza to come we played many board games.

Normally after dinner we start to get Hazel ready for bed, however with her nap she was not ready for that step, so we did some crafts. We had candles lit for when it got dark outside. Then I remembered the lanterns and found them. The dark picture above is without the flash so you could get a sense of what we were dealing with as we crafted.  Hazel decorated some felt bags and a felt owl and pumpkin using stickers and glitter glue. Then I used two of the felt bags to make a tic tac toe board. I bought some wooden hearts and stars after seeing a tic tac toe board at the craft fair and loved the idea. I thought of the bags to hold the pieces. I had these felt bags for something (I think I got them on clearance). Hazel saw them and wanted to do some as well.

Then I liked this idea so much I went back to Michaels. They did not have anymore felt bags, but I found some canvas ones that had a pull string.  I bought some smaller wooden pieces for the smaller bags and used some fabric paint on them. I made a bunch for the Holiday Fair's Wee Folk Shop. Now I have all my required donations to bring tomorrow. Then I'll probably work on some more for them.

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you are all ok, and that you coped the way you did. It sounds like Steve did a wonderful job too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and simple idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea. I've been really impressed at how quickly power has come back this time round. Or maybe I just feel that way because we were lucky enough to not lose power. I've never blamed the power company though - they are definitely motivated to get everyone back online as quickly as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea! Thanks to your hubby for all his hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are okay, it is so hard to fathom being far away. I hope things get back to normal for everyone on the east coast as soon as possible. Thanks for linking up on super Sweet Saturday.
    Steph
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're all safe and sound!
    Thanks for visiting Waldorf Wednesday. Hope to see you back this week!
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/seasons-of-joy/waldorf-wednesday-11/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!