Google+

Ahoy, Matey! I made a pirate ship and some peg priates

This weekend we are going to a birthday party for one of Hazel's best friends from school. He is a boy who has just about everything. Since his party is pirate themed, I thought I would make him a pirate ship and some peg pirates. I found some inspiration on Esty and then found some easy to follow cardboard ones on  Molly Moo and Red Ted Art. I used Molly Moo's image as a pattern and cut them from cardboard. Then I cut wool felt a bit larger. I glued the felt to the cardboard and then started sewing the pieces together.
On one of the many sites I looked at homemade pirate ships I saw a neat storage compartment in the back, so I added that.
Then I used a 1/4 inch dowel for the mast and to get it to stand up I bought a package of these wooden wheels.
I covered it with brown felt by gluing it on and then glued it in place on the boat.
Then I cut a white mast from white wool felt and made a black flag with skull and crossbones to complete the look. I also used a paint pen to put the child's name on it as the name of the ship. Next it needs some pirates, so I painted with paint markers some peg dolls.
The captain I gave a felt hat, peg leg and a hook. The first mate has the eye patch and gold earring as well as bandana on his head. Now it is set to be played with. Oh, and did I mention Hazel wants a non-pirate ship done in blue with a pink flag. And I'm going to make a pink pirate hat for her for the party. I pinned lots of pirate ideas here if you are looking for any.
I considered adding a plank to the ship, but Steve didn't think I should. Since he is our model ship expert, I went with his opinion.






9 comments:

  1. What a great pirate playset! I am excited to try out making some peg dolls as well, my nephew would love a pirate set like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great project! I would love it if you would share with us on Eco Kids: http://organicaspirations.blogspot.com/2013/01/handmade-step-stools-and-eco-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! How WONDERUL to make a felt ship. I LOVE IT!! It looks fabulous. :-)

    So pleased.

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pirate boat!! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Please join us again this week! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/an-enchanted-childhood-playschool_26.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm... wrong link (playschool + blogging = craziness lol) http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-funky-junky-windchime-at-eco-kids.html

      Delete
  5. How fun! What a great idea! Thanks for linking up to our Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! My boys would love it, although I must admit I really struggle with the whole pirate thing since they're not exactly heros, LOL! But my boys just love them. Thanks for sharing on Waldorf Wednesday. Hope to see you back soon!
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/waldorf-wednesday-link-up/waldorf-wednesday-20/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!