Google+

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Source
I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. --Martin Luther King, Jr.


On Monday the United States remembers a great man, Martin Luther King, Jr. His actual birthday was this past Tuesday (January 15). To me he is a man we should all respect. Now I must admit I  do not have a great activity planned. However I did get a book out of the library to read to Hazel. And I wanted to share a few resources with you in case you would like to do more to remember this great American hero.

Some great resources:

  • Daria has a wonderful song "I Have a Dream" and is giving it away free this month. She also is giving away a copy of her amazing I Have a Dream CD as well as some great coloring pages and other resources.
  • Kids Activity Blog has a great lesson on diversity and race in particular. 
  • Carolina Teacher shares some great activities and books for celebrating. She uses these with her Kindergarten.
  • Enchanted Learning offers many great worksheets, history, and coloring pages.
  • Teachers Paying Teachers has many including this free listening comprehension activity.
  • We did a great activity to go with the book The Color of Us by Karen Katz.
  • Inspired In Style has a great Peace is... Activity.
  • Handprint and Footprint Art has some great Martin Luther King Jr. inspired handprint activities.
  • For more great music check out Kevin So. Some of his older songs like "Individual" and "I Had a Dream" are wonderful introductions to diversity. After all whatever Asian Americans do you know trying to make it in the folk music business and now has mixed that with some jazz and country.
For more ideas check out my Multicultural Pinterest Board.

And of course the best way to honor the memory of this amazing man is to do a service project that will help the poor or bring people together.

What are you doing to honor him?


Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.--Martin Luther King, Jr.
If you have a minute, I would love it if you would take the time to vote for me in the Circles of Moms Contest. You can vote every day until January 30th! Just click the circle below and click vote at Crafty Moms Share! Thank you!!

 

1 comment:

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!