Google+

Starfish and Sand Dollar Wreath for a Touch of Summer


 Disclosure: I was sent these craft items to review free of charge from Oriental Trading. All opinions in this post are my own. I did not receive any other compensation for this review. I added links to the particular products for your convenience, but not for any compensation.

So while at Cape Cod last week, Hazel and I were in one of our favorite shops and I saw a pretty wreath made with white starfish. It looked very simple. It was a chipboard wreath form painted white with white starfish glued all over it. I showed it to my mother and Hazel and said we could make that. The owner of the store even commented how he considered getting out his glue gun to make one. I think it was on sale for about $17 dollars. I remembered the wonderful starfish I had received from Oriental Trading and thought let's make one when we get home. 



 

I picked up one of the wreath forms at Michaels and then searched for the sand I knew I had. I strung a piece of twine through two of the holes in the form before I began any decorating.  I spread a layer of Mod Podge over it and sprinkled fine sand over it. After it dried a bit, I laid out the starfish and realized that with the mixed sizes, I needed something else, so I added some sand dollars, which both Hazel and I thought would make it look better. Once those were added, we agreed that it looked good and I started gluing them in place. I used Aleene's Original Tacky Glue to attach them and let it dry overnight.



I am very happy with how it came out. I like it better than the one I saw at the store. Now we have a fun summer wreath for our door or a room in our house. I love having the starfish and sand dollars to make these fun crafts. We also noticed that under the sand dollars are some scallop shells which I am sure we will be using soon.


The glue is still wet in this photo
For more shell and ocean inspired crafts check out: